Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Idea

As I was driving home from an event in Connecticut yesterday, I had time to think about my SCA experiences. I realized that I've had the opportunity to play in many different locations around the country, and since I had just added Connecticut to the list, I thought it would be interesting to tally up how many different states I'd attended events in.


This is my map so far. I've attended events in Alaska, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

Then the idea began to form. A self-assigned quest of sorts: could I attend an SCA event in each of the fifty states? I work for an airline, so this should be more feasible for me than it may be for most other SCAdians. Moreover, I've always been fascinated by inter-kingdom anthropology, and it would be really neat to experience the differences of culture and tradition across our country.

And how fitting, to undertake a 50-state challenge in this, the 50th year of the Society!

Each time I check a new state off the list, I will chronicle the event here. I hope to include photos and stories of the experiences and the people I will meet. And when my quest is complete, I will always have this record of all I have seen and learned.

Come along with me on this journey! =) Come virtually by following my blog, or come in real life by traveling to these events and meeting me! I hope to meet many, many of you wonderful SCAdians out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment